Friday, September 11, 2009

Warehouse 13: "Regrets" Review

"Regrets" is the first dip in W13's pattern of wonderful episodes, but it still provides an hour of chaos, character development, and downright spookiness. I mean, I was jumping at little sounds for a good half hour after I turned the TV off.

Yeah, so, I started the review after I finished the episode, and (of course) I'm not posting until. . . the eleventh?  Sorry!  This episode just did not stick in my head at all.

It's not the best and it's not the worst, and it definitely has its share of moments.  By far the best part of this was the end, when Myka and Pete finally had to face their demons.  We got to see Myka's human side, and finally find out what happened in Denver . . . I was really expecting something huge, and then Sam's death was pretty anticlimactic.  But I'm not really complaining, because Joanne Kelly's acting makes it ten times better.  She plays the tortured agent so well . . . but still manages to hit the perfect combination of vulnerabilty and hard-ass that defines Myka so much.  We finally get to see a more mature side to Pete, although his scenes with his dad had less impact on me, I think because Pete has had, what, thirty years to accept his father's death, while Myka's had months to accept Sam's.  In any case, the whole episode shows the growing trust and friendship that's been developing between Myka and Pete, and that makes me happy.


Although.  This is as good of a time as any to say that I will be extremely disappointed if that friendship turns into romance.  I can't imagine the two of them together, at all.  It would be awful in my opinion . . . and way cliche.  I threatened to stop watching the show if that happened . . . I don't think I'll do that now, but I'll be really upset, in any case.


Apart from that, there's not too much to make "Regrets" stand out in my mind.  For once, the artifact was the solution instead of the problem, which was a cool twist.  Revered Hill was poorly underused, although the motif of the Orouborus was fascinating and, in my mind, connected to Myka's and Pete's constant vicious circles of guilt.  The prison-in-lightning-storm idea was a it cliche, but definitely effective.  And . . . what else . . . oh, Claudia-the-magnet in Alessandro Volta's lab coat was a lot of fun.  And any solution involving crossbows and inflatable mattresses is, well, interesting, but apparently very effective.  I almost felt sorry for Claudia by the end, having to rewrite "I must obey Artie" over again, this time, "like she means it".  But Artie should really know better than to think that will stop her.  I bet next week she'll be back making trouble again.


One thing that "Regrets" does that I absolutely love (and some other episodes have done this too) is throw in references to things that are actually happening.  "Tropical Storm Jimena" is obviously a real hurricane that was going on about the time this episode aired.  And earlier on, "Implosion" contained a dig at the economy ("Cash only.  American credit's not what it used to be") that made me laugh probably more than any normal person would (then again I've never claimed to be normal).


Overall, good but not great.  Definitely not on the same scale as "Implosion" or "Duped", but much better than some of the early episodes.  It's not bad, but it's also not memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment