Sunday, September 27, 2009

Things Wrong With the World

Call me insane, call me sleep-deprived, call me over-sensitive, but this stuff just shouldn't be happening.

I saw a ten year old reading New Moon at the feis this weekend.  Absolutely disgusting and entirely not appropriate.

Obama dropped his demand that Israel cease building settlements in the Occupied Territories.  Excuse me?  Haven't those been declared illegal by pretty much everyone who matters?  The settlements are one of the true roadblocks to Middle Eastern peace, and it's sad that Obama is willing to bend to pressure from the Israelis (because Prime Minister Netanyahu is the one being unreasonable here.  Did anyone read his conditions for a Palestinian state that came out earlier this year?)

Iranian police are starting to order shopkeepers that any mannequins they have in their store windows be wearing proper hijab.  This is how ridiculous this is:  It showed up as a headline in the LA Times Twitter feed I have in my Google reader, and I thought I had accidentally hit the Onion's Twitter feed.  So I started laughing.  Until I realized it was real.  Stuff like this leaves me speachless with shock over how badly women are treated, and how unable we are to put a stop to it.

Speaking of Iran, President Ahmadinijad has been denying the Holocaust.  Again.  How blind to you have to be to stare all that evidence in the face and say it's faked?  Such hatred and such stupidity.

An off-duty police officer was driving drunk in NYC and killed a woman.  How can you not know better?

Stuff like this makes me want to curl up in a corner with my eyes shut tight, waiting for things to improve.  But if this is ever going to change . . . we have to get out there and make it change!

1 comment:

  1. These things also upset me. What really makes me mad is how women are treated in Iran. My sister told me this story of how this woman was married and lived in the US. Her husband wanted to go to Iran to visit. As soon as they got there her husband told her they were never going back to the US and he started beating her, and he wouldn't let her leave or talk to anyone or he'd kill her and her kids. One day he was gone so she met someone who was willing to get her out of Iran. This involved some serious hiding and they had to go on camels in the desert. I think she made it home. What really freaks me out about this is that if her husband did hospitalize her, it would be her fault for not listening to her husband. And the police wouldn't let her leave the country because it was against her husband's will. Do we seriously want men to have this much power over us?

    ReplyDelete