Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Warehouse 13: "Implosion" Review

Best. Episode. Yet.

Forgive me if I sound too enthusiastic, but this is the best Warehouse 13 episode by far. It has backstory, foreshadowing, special effects, plot twists, witty dialogue, very good guest stars, and Leena actually does something useful. Okay, so maybe that last isn't quite on the same level as the others, but "Implosion" establishes once and for all that Warehouse 13 has credibility and potential, two things it desperately needs.

So, decapitations, implosions, and disintegrating bodies, among other things, definitely prove that W13 is earning its TV-14 rating. I was complaining about that earlier (I found a lot of things to complain about in the early episodes) but "Implosion" brings in a new, darker side that I cannot wait to see explored. And remember how I was complaining about how there could never be story arcs, due to the format of the show? Well, the writers found a way to do a story arc -- and pretty good one, if this is any indication -- despite all of that. The whole idea of a rogue Warehouse agent (is that what MacPhearson is) is really quite fascinating.

This all just goes to show you the potential that W13 has when it's not being X-Files for the twelve year olds. We get real background information, real conflict, and finally, finally, when the agents burst in on the bad guy with the weapon and scream "Federal agent! Drop your weapon!" they actually get shot. So maybe that's not necessarily a good thing, but I've always thought that that would be closer to what would happen in real life.

Guest stars. Well, I always always always love seeing CCH Pounder/Mrs. Frederick. "We're all human. As far as I know." (Best Artie line :D). I really hope we see more of her. She is probably the most fascinating character yet. Roger Rees is an awesome evil guy, and I'm excited to see MacPhearson's story evolve. I have no idea who that lady at the bar with Artie was, but I'm assuming she was part of the whole MacPhearson debacle. Again, there's so much story potential here.

I love the interdepartamental conflict brewing between Artie and Dickinson. I kind of thought it would be coming up, but not like this. I find myself fully on Myka's side here: Artie's treating the agents as expendable (which that beautifully timed first implosion grenade shows) and they're not. I said a bit ago that I wanted to see Artie and Myka talk a bit about their past losses, and I still want that, even more now.

Special effects are better than usual, and leaving aside the somewhat kooky music and a very eight-year-old Pete playing with the decoy sword in the beginning, the great directing, the real feeling on the part of the cast, and what is quite possibly the best Star Trek reference ever, combined with everything above, make this as close to a perfect 10 as I think we'll see out of W13. It's finally hitting its stride, and dang it's good!

P.S. I know this review is a bit late (I've been doing my summer reading, ugh), but at least my tardiness lets me add in this little tidbit: W13 has officially been renewed for a second season! Hopefully we got more episodes this time round :) Full story here.

1 comment:

  1. Ahoy.
    I just want to start out by saying FINALLY. Because I've been trying to find a blog that I like/can relate to for AGES now.
    First off, WH13 is amazing. Your reviews are really spunky but at the same time, really good. I haven't been diligently watching it, on account of finishing up other shows, but you make me want to go and catch up!
    Also, after reading your lists at the side of the page, you MUST MUST MUST go and watch Battlestar and In Plain Sight. Battlestar is the best television show. Period. It's a classic. In Plain Sight is entertaining as well as unique.
    Sorry for this letter...check out my sight if you'd like...I'm just sticking to music for now, but I'll get to TV shows eventually.
    Regards, Becktastic*.

    ReplyDelete