Thursday, August 6, 2009

Warehouse 13: "Elements" Review

While I didn't enjoy "Elements" as much as I've enjoyed some of the previous episodes, it was still a solid episode with a very interesting storyline and good effects.

The premise of this episode is actually quite interesting. Native American objects are often used in mystery/scifi shows because of the sense of mystery and magic that surrounds them. In that sense, "Elements" certainly doesn't fall short, mystery and magic abound. I love the idea of the four statues leading to the cave. And in Warehouse 13's usual ancient/modern mix, I love how Claudia figures out the cave's location with no trouble (or statues) at all, using the magnetic lay lines. The idea of world domination is not new (with such prevalence in scifi shows, it seems like some new person should be ruling the world every other week, but hey), however, I'm not sure I've ever seen it be domination through use of the four elements before. The story, overall, does not disappoint, although I wish there was some better resolution. We're not quite sure (or atleast I'm not quite sure) what happened to Radbum at the very end . . . I'm assuming he dies when the cave is destroyed, but the ending seems very unfinished.

The artifacts. Being able to walk through walls is so cool. Like Pete said, this is one artifact I totally wish would stick around. I can see him and Myka and Claudia using the cloak on some mission somewhere one day :).

The special effects. Well, they're not the most elaborate ones we've seen in the series, but turning people's hands into fire and rock surely deserves some credit. I like how each element was represented in the cave, and how Radbum completes his transformation, and is then (presumably) destroyed. The effects aren't too complex, but they're good, and that's what counts.

Character wise . . . well, I still don't like Pete. He's toned down the jerkiness a bit, but he still acts very much like a child, and it's annoying. Although, he did gain some sympathy by being thrown out of the steel wall of a moving truck (I wouldn't be too happy about that either). Leena continues her role as the "explainer" . . . she spends a good three minutes telling us every minute detail of Claudia's emotional state, something, I think, that Alison Scagliotti could have acted for us without much difficulty. On that topic though, Claudia is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. She's complex and guilty and funny and sarcastic, and beats Vegas without thinking twice. She's a much-needed addition to this show, and I'm so glad she's staying.

I liked how we got some resolution to the Claudia-Joshua story. However, it is a pity that with Joshua going off to CERN we don't get any more of the wonderful brother-sister sister moments like we did here (oh well, I suppose we need to leave that to Pete and Myka. Pete is so the annoying little brother!)

It was awesome to see Joe Flanigan again, but I have to say that after seeing him as John Sheppard on Stargate Atlantis for five years, it was a bit difficult to adjust to seeing him as a different character. But his acting is just as good here as in Atlantis, so I'm happy. He also provides a good excuse for Myka to relax a bit, but she doesn't hesitate to pull her gun on him when she thinks he's the bad guy.

Overall, a good episode with an interesting story and some fun character moments. Oh, and Artie's chess game against himself totally rocks.



(By the way . . . I wonder if Joshua knows that this is what they're really getting up to over at CERN.  xP)

No comments:

Post a Comment