Friday, August 14, 2009

Warehouse 13: "Burnout" Review

Myka's coat is amazing. Sorry, that just had to be said.

Okay, fashion aside, "Burnout" was a really good episode. I (foolishly) thought I would be able to watch this episode while organizing my Irish dance makeup kit. Fat chance. "Burnout" had me hooked from the very beginning.

Storywise, this was a much more engaging, interesting, and suspenseful story than last week's "Elements". It got me thinking, once again, about how much of the artifact stories are actually true. Because if something like this spine were real . . . anyway, I know the truth-to-fantasy ration is probably something like 1:200086 (or something). But still. This falls into the category of "I love how W13 (my new abbreviation) blends past/present/future-ness". It's like steampunk, but not. Right? Maybe I'm making no sense. In any case, there are no points lost for the plotline here.

One aspect of the show I still cannot figure out. I may have asked this question before, but here it is again: how alive is the Warehouse? Rebecca says that the Warehouse doesn't let people go once it has a hold on them. There's certainly more going on with the whole preserving-the-rooms-of-the-deceased-agents-perfectly-in-the-warehouse thing than it looks like at first glance (I have no idea how that's possible, by the way, but it does look extremely cool to see how you get access to the rooms.)

Claudia is, as always (can I say "always" after 3 episodes? Oh well), brilliant, whether she's ribbing Artie's fashion sense or inventing holographic projectors. All in a day's work, I suppose. I am a bit worried though, that she'll turn into a perfect, always-saves-the-day character. I think that the writers have more sense, but that has yet to be seen. And as far as characters go, if they start a Pete/Myka romance, I will . . . I dunno. I threatened my friend I would stop watching the show, but that seems extreme now. Be very upset, I suppose.

I was sadly surprised when I realized that I didn't care at all if Pete died or not. I knew that I should care, obviously, I just didn't. Then I realized that it would completely traumatize Myka, losing two partners in such a short span of time, and reconsidered. But still, it was disturbing to figure out that I cared that little for one of the main characters.

But speaking of Myka being traumatized, that brings me to another interesting point. In six episodes, we already have a very defined and very interesting character here, and Joanne Kelly really does her justice, which makes me quite happy. The most powerful scene for me here was when Pete, fighting the influence of the Spine, was pleading with Myka to, basically, electrocute him. And she couldn't. Because, in my opinion (and I might be totally wrong here) Myka's forgotten what it's like to be willing and able to die for a cause, after she saw her former boyfriend die for what he believed in. She's still very scarred by that. But Rebecca, who also lost her partner to the spine, was able to do what Pete asked. Maybe it's because she had more time to adjust to losing her partner, or maybe it was just personality differences, but either way, I found it quite interesting.

In any case, this is a very good episode that has me looking forward to next week. I'm starting to like this show, and I think that one of its strongest points is that it's able to constantly get better (Uhm. Ignoring the thing that called itself "Resonance"). So I'm thinking there's high potential for next week.

Oh, and I also got some pretty pretty screencaps! (Hulu is murder to 'cap from.
But anyway).


No comments:

Post a Comment