Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Roswell! Oh, and Happy December :)

This started out as a comment on Tay's reveiw of Roswell (found here), but it got so long that it deserved it's own post.

I have to start out by saying that I've only seen the first seven episodes, so if I say anythng glaringly strange, considering how the show ends up, well, that's my excuse.

~Katherine Hiegl is brilliant
~The show is VERY unique.  I've never seen anything quite like it before, even in the other scifi shows (Stargate, X-Files) that deal with the Roswell crash.
~Julie Benz's character, the guidance counselor/FBI agent is probably my favorite so far. Her drop-kicking the creepy sheriff has got to be my all-time favorite moment so far!  Although, since I know her mostly as Darla from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I always get creeped out whenever she's with any of the kids alone.  I feel like she should be trying to eat them or something! :P
~I love how all the shots are set up to focus on the characters.  It's very clear that they, and not the surroundings/action is the main focus.  There's interesting uses of reflections/lens flares, not exactly normal, but then again, the whole premise of the show is that life is abnormal.
~Maria deLuca is one crazy amazing friend.  Czechoslovakians, anyone?
~I love how Max just looks like a normal guy.  No super-hottness, no idealized view.  Just a normal kid I'd like to hang out with.  That's so rare in shows, especially those targeted at the teen age group.

Overall . . . I am liking this show very, very much!  I'll put up a recap at the end of season 1 with my final thoughts, it'll be interesting to see how my views have (or haven't) changed.

And finally . . . happy December you all!  Make it an awesome last month of 2009!! :)

1 comment: